Delicious French classic served with cheesy bread.
- 500g brown onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- pinch sugar
- 1.5 litres beef stock (use 2 stock cubes)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1-2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- french stick or other bread
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- Gruyere cheese is best (otherwise any cheese you can find)
Brown the onion in the butter and a bit of oil for 30 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar to help them caramelise. Add the flour and stir for 3 minutes. Add the stock and wine. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Prepare the bread by rubbing in garlic, then crushing / chopping the remaining amount and sprinkling on top. Toast lightly in oven or grill and then remove.
Season the soup with salt and pepper when done. Serve into bowls. Place a piece of bread on top, add cheese and grill until the cheese is melted, but not browned.