These are Gramma Westy’s legendary scones, which she used to make at least twice a week, and always if there were guests for morning tea.
- 2 cups SR flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 dessertspoon butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Add milk and egg to melted butter and mix together.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Make a well in the centre and pour in wet ingredients. Mix together lightly (Mum used to do this with a knife) and knead briefly on a floured surface.
- Cut into circular shapes (a small glass makes a good cutter, or Mum used to cut roughly into squares) and place together on a greased baking tray. (They need to be placed together to help them to rise)
- Baked in a preheated oven for approx 10 minutes. They are cooked when they sound hollow when tapped.